Thursday 8 May 2014

Just Between Us by Hayley Oakes

5 stars
 
I received a copy of this book for free for an honest review.
 
Sophie was heart broken the summer before she went off to college. Meeting, dating and planning her wedding to Simon was her "safe" plan. That is until a month before the wedding he calls it off. After a month living with her mom and stepdad, Kyle returns for her wedding. Kyle offers to take her back to London for the summer, to forget all about Simon. Could Kyle really help her by being just her friend or will her heart shatter to pieces when it is time to leave Kyle and go back home to start teaching? Sophie and Kyle knew each other in school, but ran in different circles. Sophie thought Kyle was arrogant, Kyle thought Sophie was the princess of the house, that is until the summer before they go off to college.
 
When reading Just between Us by Hayley Oakes the book has Chapters that are not just numbered but also titled. They all start off with "Just". This was clever because it gave insight  to what the chapter might be about. This book also goes from present to past. I actually liked it because it was about Sophie and Kyle. This made it their story. Because this book goes from present to past the author was able to write their story which began ten years earlier.
 
Sophie-"I don't expect you to forgive me, Kyle, I have been a complete idiot, pushing you away and doubting that I could live with people I don't even CARE about gossiping about me. I mean, I always knew I loved you, but it hit me that the only person who's opinion ever really mattered to me...was yours". I whispered the last part. "I've been to scared to give us a chance because I worried too much about what people thought and now...its too late."
 
I really enjoyed Hayley Oakes writing style and would recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment